Wednesday, May 7, 2008

From Menos el Oso to Mexico City...



Last night was guys night- we drank left over beers & tequila from erin's surprise grad party in Erin's new Zen Garden (in our backyard..pics to come soon)...it was the perfect setting for conversation before we walked downtown to catch Portugal the Man and Minus the Bear. The evening reminded me of college...hanging with guys, drinking beer, going on a burrito run, and heading out to a concert...twas great!

On another college related note, I just found out that 77 year old Sue Johansen's late-night "talk sex" Oxygen network program has ended its run. I think the show used to come on at around 1am- my roommates and I would laugh hysterically every time...nothing like learning about sex from a grandma.

I am in the process right now of taking submissions for recommended Summer Reading. I have checked out the recommendations on Kelli's List, and am beginning to compile my own list. Please feel free to let me know what you think I should be reading...so far, I am planning on reading a few Vonnegut books (I need a late pass on this one), The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs, and poetry from Rumi...now lend me your two cents.

And finally, a scholarship application came across my desk to go to Mexico City for the world AIDS conference. The scholarship is given by my church's denomination the ELCA (evangelical lutheran church in america). Here is the info:

If you are between the ages of 18 and 26 and interested in addressing the AIDS pandemic, then this is for you!

Attached is an application for a scholarship to attend the International AIDS Conference in Mexico from July 31 to August 9. The application is due May 23, so you'll need to act quickly if you'd like to apply. The program for this scholarship includes the pre-conference of the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance and a meeting with LWF youth. This and much more is explained in the attached application. If you have additional questions, you can contact Emily Davila at Emily.Davila@elca.org or 212-808-5360.

I have the application and will e-mail it to you if you are interested. I am considering applying myself...

Mucho love to you all on this Wednesday.

3 comments:

Jim Krill said...

I have no recommendations as of yet for the summer reading Ron, but here's something you should try (and I think I will too):

Read a book you don't want to read.

I know how valuable reading time is (God only knows I've had about 0 these last few months) - but I had this thought, that sometimes we only read what interests us - not necessarily what we agree with, because sometimes what interests us we may not agree with - but not very often do we just find a random book or a book someone recommends that we have no interest in reading, and dive into it to see what we can find. Perhaps we'll find nothing - but you never know. Some of the most amazing experiences I've had reading books have been books I know nothing about, and aren't even really interested in reading, and someone recommends them to me, and I find I was suppose to read it.

Perhaps this is a dumb thought...

Lewis Cash said...

After our conversation on your lack of fiction reading, I have to recommend only fiction books:

"Fender Benders"- Bill Fitzhugh

"Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams

"Rum Punch"- Elmore Leonard

"A Drink Before the War"- Dennis Lehane

"Franny and Zooey"- JD Salinger

I think I own just about all of these, so hit me up if you want any.

Anonymous said...

Vonnegut. Sometimes challenging but of of my favorite authors. I know some people worship this book but Slaughterhouse 5 is really really good. Also, I am reading Cat's Cradle at the moment. I didn't want to come on your blog just to plug the fact that I can read, but I wanted to point you in the right direction if you were lost.