Friday, May 2, 2008

In a World of Sound Bytes...

In a world of sound bytes and limited time, below is a much more condensed response to everything Wright & Obama. To see my full response, read my post below this one. Cheers.

Truth is always going to be divisive- so it is, upon hindsight, understood that Barack had to distance himself from Wright politically.

I think I reacted strongly in light of my frustration with the failing church of today...a church I saw embodied this last weekend in Seattle (for more see below). Amidst my frustrations, I heard Wright speaking (in my opinion) truth to the shortcomings of our American society.

In light of this, I was angered by Obama's choice of words in his renunciation speech- "I didn't know the man," etc....sounded, in a Biblical sense a lot like Peter after the politically divisive Jesus was arrested.

Now I am not comparing Rev. Wright to Jesus, but...his message comes from the same prophetic tradition. Speaking truth to the powers, institutions, and privileged.

I think in these "accept or reject" times, I have just personally realized that I cannot endorse or campaign for any candidate. Rather, I can attempt to speak truth through my actions and campaign for the issues I am passionate about regardless of who gets elected.

No comments: