Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Primarily Stuuuupid


Last night was the New Hampshire primary. The date yesterday was January 8th. Last night I decided to look up the date for Oregon's primary- much to my chagrin, I found out that our primary is not until May 20th. WTF!!!??? The only other places that have primaries after us are Montana and Puerto Rico- even Guam votes before we do....uggghh

I hate to admit that my vote may be totally irrelevant...but...it is seemingly so. Can someone please explain to me why we don't have them all on the same day?

One more reason why our election process is primarily stuuuupid.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll do you one worse...in Arizona, registered independents can't vote in the primary at all. You have to be registered with one of the 2 parties. Guess how i'm registered?

Ashley Owlita said...

It is the same in Oregon- we are completely closed...all of the independents I know are frantically lining up at the DMV to switch their registration.

Anonymous said...

The deadline here was Jan 7th...i found out Jan 8th...

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

There is a book titled, The Election of 1800, that dives a little deeper into the emergence of the two-party system. It also talks alot about the electorate and why it's a stupid idea to still have around.

I haven't read the whole thing, but what I glanced over was really good.

And Adam, I'm with you. I'm registered PND (Party Not Defined), and I'll be one of the many who gets screwed out of civic duty on February 5th.

Lewis Cash said...

Carrie and I were originally independent, but registered as Democrats for this reason specifically.

I don't get, and I share in your disdain.

Anonymous said...

It really is the fault of your state, as much as I love Oregon (my true home) for not moving up their primary to super Tuesday, Feb 5.

And, I think everyone not in NH or IA hates the primary process. Because we all want the attention. :)

Or maybe not, since in Iowa less than 10% of the state participates in the primary. At least the turn out in NH is worth it.