Friday, January 11, 2008

Rest in Peace


I have been fortunate to hear many good speakers over the course of my 24 years. Two years ago I heard the best, most moving of them all. His name was John O' Donahue...he came to Bend to speak to the hospice worker and pastoral community. A former priest from Ireland, this poet made every word count. Storied in the great mystics and an avid Scotch drinker- this man was both very human, gentle, and filled with great humor. At multiple times I found myself crying and laughing uncontrollably. I immediately after began to read a collection of his writings called Anam Cara. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Last Sunday, I got word that John had passed at the age of 54 quietly in his sleep. May he rest and peace...and may his words inspire future generations to action, contemplation, and awaken us from slumber.

If anyone in the blogmmunity would like to read Anam Cara with me- I am going to dive into it again...let me know. You can find a great reflection from John's friend Gareth Higgins here (it is well worth the read).

2 comments:

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

I could definitely get behind a group reading thing. I also have 19 credit hours this semester, so no due dates, please...

Lewis Cash said...

I have it on hold at the library!